Safeguarding and Child Protection
The safety and well-being of the children here at Gainsborough is our first priority. Children cannot learn unless they feel happy and safe. We adhere to stringent Safeguarding procedures to protect the welfare of all the children who come here.
Our Safeguarding team
Phoebe Elkins – SENDCo, Designated Safeguarding Lead
Jenna Clark – Executive Headteacher, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Charlotte Harris – Children Centre Manager, Family Liaison Officer, Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
If you are concerned about the welfare of any pupil in the school then please arrange an appointment to speak to our designated team.
We are committed to:
- Establishing an ethos in which children feel secure, valued and confident of being listened to.
- Giving children the confidence to talk to adults in the school about abuse and to make disclosures to them.
- Establishing relationships with parents that build on an understanding of the school’s responsibility to protect children (and recognition that this may sometimes require referral of individual children to other child protection agencies).
- Establishing appropriate expectations of interpersonal behaviour; and developing strategies to help children to protect themselves.
- Providing training for staff in recognizing signs, symptoms and behaviour which are symptomatic of abuse and in responding appropriately.
- Establishing good procedures and practices in relation to record keeping.
- It is the moral and legal duty of all adults in charge of children to be ready to protect children in danger from abuse. Education staff have a responsibility to observe, monitor and refer suspected abuse.
- Any member of staff suspecting child abuse or neglect must refer their suspicions to the Nominated Safeguarding Advisor or Head Teacher, who will then refer to Social Services if appropriate.
- It is important that staff are aware that many more children experience abuse than are registered as requiring protection. It is therefore essential that school staff are vigilant in identifying abuse.
Please download our Safeguarding Child Protection Policy in full to read more.